About Medialogy: Promotion and Advocacy
Articles and Information:
Tools for Advocacy:
The 21st Century Media Center:
This video was created by the Library of Michigan and the Michigan Association for Media in Education to highlight the impact Media Center's make on education today.
The Michigan Association for Media in Education (MAME) hopes to raise awareness among parents and school administrators of the need for certified school librarians in public schools. Research has indicated that having a certified school librarian in a school has a significant impact on student achievement, and many parents and school administrators are not aware of that fact. This PSA will remind parents of schools without school librarians to "Ask Why?"
Why We Need Libraries:
Communicating the impact and benefits libraries bring is an important function in the librarian's role and there's plenty of material available to help. Take a look at this article from the American Library Association Public Information Office, Talking Points: Why We Need Libraries.
The Importance of School Library Media Programs: Studies From Across the Nation
- An Essential Connection: How Quality School Library Media Programs Improve Student Achievement in North Carolina
- Good Schools Have School Librarians: Oregon School Librarians Collaborate to Improve Academic Achievement
- How School Librarians Help Kids Achieve from the Colorado Dept. of Ed.
- How Students, Teachers, and Principals Benefit from Strong School Libraries: The Indiana Study
- The Impact of Michigan School Librarians on Academic Achievement: Kids Who Have Libraries Succeed (and the brief overview of the same report)
- The Impact of School Library Media Centers on Academic Achievement AASL article
- Information Empowered: The School Librarian as an Agent of Academic Achievement in Alaska Schools
- Library Media Programs and Student Achievement
- Making the Grade: The Status of School Library Media Centers in the Sunshine State and How They Contribute to Student Achievement
- Measuring up to Standards: The Impact of School Library Programs & Information Literacy in Pennsylvania Schools
- Positively Impacting Student Achievement: Studying the Effects of Library Resources in the Classroom study by Gale Cengage
- Report of Phase Two of Delaware School Library Survey: Student Learning through Delaware School Libraries
- School Libraries Count! results of a 2009 national survey from the American Association of School Libraries
- School Library Impact Studies Project from Mansfield University pf Pennsylvania
- Show Me Connection: How School Library Media Center Services Affect Student Achievement study commissioned by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and the Missouri State Library
- Student Learning Through Ohio School Libraries
- Additional list of studies done on the effect of school library media programs compiled by David V. Loertscher
Taylor Mali, Library Advocate
If you're not already familiar with the slam poetry of Taylor Mali, start here. Taylor is a strong supporter of teachers and of school libraries, having been in the classroom himself for nine years.
In addition to his poem, "I'll Fight You for the Library," take a look at his well-known piece called "What Teachers Make."
A Librarian's Worth